Muscle cramps usually occur at night but may also occur after exercise sessions.
With age, cramps occur more often, especially after 50 years; only one in three people do not suffer from cramps. Causes may be affected spine, vascular disease, nervous system disorders, disorders of calcium metabolism, lack of magnesium, neuroses and more.
If you have spine problems or sciatica, pain in the hips or ankles may occur even when walking. In very rare cases, spasm lasts for several weeks or months. It is assumed that the source of the pain is the spine. On tomograms, the affected nerves, herniated disc and other deviations from the norm – that causes cramps – can be seen. The same happens with the hands, when you tense your muscles for a long time, especially in an uncomfortable position. You should immediately change body position, and massage the muscle until cramps disappear.
However the most dangerous are the cramps while swimming. When the water temperature is below 20 degrees, nobody is secured against cramps that can lead to tragedy. Therefore, before entering the water, you have to do some exercise (running, lifting and bending legs, gently massage from fingertips up) and also a hot-cold Scottish shower, or rub your body and legs with a coarse brush or sponge.
How to get rid of cramps
First aid methods:
- Grip the thumb of the affected leg and strong pull towards the body. If it is not possible to operate with the palm, bend the finger with the help of the heel by the other foot;
- The tip of a needle shall be inserted in the painful spot, and then quickly removed. Pay attention not to damage a large blood vessel;
- A method known of old: when you have cramps, is put on the language a teaspoon of mustard powder, is pressed on the palate and will be hold until it swallows all mustard. It can be used to prevent brain stroke;
- If spasm occurs while swimming, do not panic. Always wear a needle on your bathing suit. Prick the contracted muscle and the cramps will pass. If you do not have a needle, then press the muscle with your thumb or forefinger.
How you can reduced the number and intensity of muscle cramps:
It has been shown that analgesics, compression stockings or vitamin E does not remove leg cramps. However, the tips below will help diminish their intensity.
– Swimming as often as possible.
– Take long walks.
– Riding a bicycle.
– During the day, as often as possible, beat the floor with your heels. This will improve circulation.
Food – medicine:
- Consume two teaspoons of honey mixed with crushed almonds at every meal;
- After every meal, are eaten two teaspoons of honey mixed with sunflower seeds;
- Sometimes, the cramps in the leg muscles are the result of disturbance of potassium metabolism. In this case, it is recommend consuming dried apricots and baked potatoes, no less than 50-100 g per day;
- In a one-liter jar, put two tablespoons of raisins and chopped dates. Separately, prepare an infusion of chamomile (a tablespoon to 500 ml of water), infuse to cool, strain and pour into the jar with fruit. Let it soak overnight and drink the next day. Repeat daily for 3 weeks;
- During the pains, you can drink 150 ml of spring water, in which you dissolve half teaspoon of coarse salt;
- Repeated consumption of cottage cheese. It contains calcium, which actively participate in the processes of transmission of nerve signals and muscle contractions;
- Buttermilk is consumed in the morning on an empty stomach, adding one tablespoon of honey, followed by a glass of kefir or buttermilk. The cure is kept for 1 week. After a break of 1 week, the cure is repeated.
- Wormwood juice. 1-2 teaspoons of juice are dissolved (depending on the body weight) in 75 ml of water, drink 2-3 times a day, for three weeks. Never increase the recommended dose;
- Decoction of wormwood mixed with beer. 15 grams root of wormwood boiled in an enamel pot, mixed with 250 ml of beer, bring to the boiling point and leave for another 5 minutes. Drink one tablespoon, three times daily between meals or at night in bed, if there is pain;
- Jimson weed inhaled smoke from a few dried and crushed leaves;
- Eyebright proved to be a good remedy to cure cramps. 2 tablespoons of herb infuses in 500 ml of boiling water for 2-3 hours, then and strain. Drink 125 ml, four times a day, 20 minutes before the meal.
- Infusion of thyme. 10 grams of thyme macerated in 100 ml of brandy, for 8 days. Drink 15 drops, placed in 50 ml of water, three times per day.
In herbal therapy there are complex recipes for improving people suffering from muscle cramps, especially for those with nervous system disorders:
– A mixture of onions, hawthorn and pine. Finely chop 5 tablespoons of pine needles, mix with 3 tablespoons of hawthorn fruit and 2 tablespoons of onion peel. The mixture is put in a liter of water, bring to boil point, leave it 10 minutes and then infuses to cooling in a covered container. Drink daily for a month, 1-1.5l per day, instead of water or tea.
- In the Middle Ages, cramps were healed by anointing painful places with chamomile oil and violet. Within minutes, the spasm passed;
- Elders say it’s good to brush your feet, in the morning and evening, with lemon juice. After that, do not wipe your feet, but wearing socks and your feet will be shod after dry. The duration of treatment is 2-3 weeks, the break is 14 days. In the same time, in small sips, drink a glass of water with a teaspoon of lemon juice;
- White lily flowers, with a strong flavor, is cut in small pieces and macerate in 70 degrees alcohol, kept in a dark place for 10 days. Massage the legs daily with this mixture, until cramps disappear;
- When the dandelion blooms, fill a 500 ml jar with flowers, pour 70 degrees alcohol, put the lid on and leave the bowl in the dark. When cramps occur, rub the affected area with the obtained solution. The same solution can also be used to buffer places affected by herpes or acne;
- 20 grams of frozen propolis, crush into small pieces and rub with two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of butter. Before bed, massage your feet with this mixture, in places most affected by cramps;
- Mustard oil massage the points where muscle contractions occur most often. If you have several kinds of essential oils in the house, rub with earlobes below the knee; Use rose, lemon, basil or lavender oil for the elbow joint. Simultaneously, consume a teaspoon of honey mixed with 2 drops of lemon oil. Make a warm bath with 3-5 drops of peppermint or lemon oil before bed.