Skip to content

Fruits and Vegetables With a Poisonous Side

  • by
daphne fruits are incredibly poisonous

The most toxic fruit is the pomegranate. It is a small, red fruit that grows on trees in tropical climates. The pomegranate contains a high concentration of pesticides and herbicides, which can be toxic to humans if ingested in large quantities. The fruit is also known to contain high levels of arsenic, which can be deadly if consumed in large amounts. The pomegranate has been linked to several deaths and illness.


Cyanide is a highly poisonous chemical that can be found in many fruits, including cherries. In large doses, it can be fatal. Symptoms of cyanide poisoning include dizziness, headaches, nausea, and vomiting. If left untreated, cyanide poisoning can lead to coma and death.

In addition to cyanide, cherries also contain a range of other harmful chemicals. These include quercetin and kaempferol, which are both linked to an increased risk of cancer; coumarin, which can cause liver damage; and ellagitannins, which can cause gastrointestinal problems.


The toxicity of tomatoes is due to a substance called solanine. Solanine is a glyco alkaloid poison that is found in several members of the nightshade family, including potatoes and eggplants. Solanine is produced as a defense mechanism by these plants, to protect them from insects and other predators.

While solanine is present in all parts of the plant, it is most concentrated in the leaves and stems. However, it can also be found in the fruit itself. When eaten in large quantities, solanine can cause gastrointestinal distress, diarrhea, vomiting, and even death.

Though it would take quite a lot of tomatoes to reach lethal levels of solanine poisoning (estimated at around 2-5 pounds for an adult human), eating even small amounts of the fruit can cause problems for some people. Those with conditions like Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis may be especially sensitive to solanine poisoning. Infants and children are also at higher risk for developing serious health complications from eating poisonous plants like tomatoes.

If you suspect that you or someone you know has been poisoned by solanine, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.

Jatropha Fruit

The toxicity of the jatropha fruit comes from a compound called phorbol esters. When ingested, these compounds can cause vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, and even death. There have been cases where people have died after eating just one or two jatropha fruits. Ingesting just a few seeds can also be fatal. Symptoms of poisoning from ingesting the jatropha fruit include abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, tremors, convulsions, and paralysis. Death usually occurs within 24 hours after ingesting the poison.

There is no known antidote for poisoning from ingesting the jatropha fruit. Treatment focuses on supportive care to keep the person alive until all of the poison has left their system. This typically takes several days to weeks. If you think someone has ingested any part of a jatropha plant, call your local poison control center immediately.

Daphne. Daphne is a deciduous shrub with clusters of red berries

This deciduous shrub has clusters of red berries that are incredibly poisonous. Just a handful of these berries can kill an adult human, and they’re also deadly to animals like dogs and cats. If you have this plant in your yard, be sure to keep children and pets away from it!

European Spindle. The fruit of this Eunonymus plant is very toxic, containing theobromine, caffeine, and terpene

The European Spindle (Eunonymus europaeus) is a species of flowering plant in the family Celastraceae, native to Europe. The fruit of this plant is very toxic, containing theobromine, caffeine, and terpene. Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, tachycardia (rapid heartbeat), and seizures. In severe cases, toxicity can lead to death. If you suspect that someone has eaten a European Spindle fruit, seek medical attention immediately.

Apple seeds. Apples are fine, but don’t eat the seeds

Apples are a great fruit to eat, but you should be careful not to eat the seeds. The apple seeds contain a small amount of cyanide, which is poisonous. However, you would need to eat a lot of apple seeds to be harmed by the cyanide.